from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The direction or point on the mariner's compass halfway between due north and due east, or 45° east of due north.
- n. An area or region lying in the northeast.
- n. A region of the northeast United States, generally including the New England states, New York, and sometimes Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
- adj. To, toward, of, facing, or in the northeast.
- adj. Originating in or coming from the northeast: a northeast wind.
- adv. In, from, or toward the northeast.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The compass point halfway between north and east, specifically 45°, abbreviated as NE.
- adj. Towards the northeast; northeastward.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the northeast; northeastern.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The point between the north and east, at an equal distance from each; the northeast part or region.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the northeast; proceeding toward the northeast, or coming from that point
- adv. Toward the northeast.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That point on the horizon between north and east which is equally distant from them; N. 45˚ E., or E. 45˚ N.
- Pertaining to the northeast; proceeding from or directed toward that point; northeastern: as, a northeast wind; to hold a northeast course. Abbreviated N. E.
- To or from the northeast.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. to, toward, or in the northeast
- adj. situated in or oriented toward the northeast
- adj. coming from the northeast
- n. the direction corresponding to the northeastward compass point
- n. the compass point midway between north and east; at 45 degrees
- n. the northeastern region of the United States
- n. a location in the northeastern part of a country, region, or city
One of the reasons why transit works in the northeast is the population of Greater New York (which is more than all of Florida).
Most of the power is in what they call the northeast quadrant.
I oversee what we call our northeast substation area, which involves the Kern Valley substation area and the Ridgecrest substation area.
I don't know what region of the country you need to travel, but SENDA is the leading carrier in northeast/northcentral Mexico.
"It's very rusty now; I don't have a lot of use for it in northeast Tennessee."
At dawn on Oct. 3, 2009, the 54 U.S. soldiers at Combat Outpost Keating in northeast Afghanistan -- tucked in a vulnerable valley surrounded by three heavily forested mountains near the Pakistan border -- were attacked by 300 to 400 Taliban, some of whom had managed to get inside the camp -- "in the wire."
In the Jaintia Hills in northeast India, according to human rights organizations, over 70,000 children continue to labor in dangerous rathole coal mines.
In the Jaintia Hills in northeast India, according to human-rights organizations, more than 70,000 children continue to labor in dangerous rathole coal mines.
This trend got a preview two weeks ago when Mercy Health Partners announced that it was seeking buyers for three Catholic hospitals in northeast Pennsylvania.
Perhaps most importantly, the Council clearly recognizes the importance of closer relations and cooperation with South Korea, Japan's natural partner in northeast Asia.