from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun One who has recently become rich, especially one who flaunts newly acquired wealth.
from The Century Dictionary.
- One who has recently acquired wealth; one newly enriched; hence, a wealthy upstart; a parvenu.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- A person newly rich. Contrasted with
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun pejorative
New money; wealthy persons whose fortunes are newly acquired, and who are therefore perceived to lack the refinement of those who were raised wealthy.
Newly rich; like a nouveau riche.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective characteristic of someone who has risen economically or socially but lacks the social skills appropriate for this new position
- noun a person who has suddenly risen to a higher economic status but has not gained social acceptance of others in that class
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[French : nouveau, new + riche, rich.]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Borrowing from French nouveau riche (literally "new rich").
Sorry, no example sentences found.
New comments are temporarily disabled while we update our database.