from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A concrete illustration of a moral or principle.
- noun A lesson taught by using a material object.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A lesson in which instruction is communicated, or a subject made clear, by presenting to the eye the object to be described, or a representation of it.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun a lesson
taught(especially to young children) using a familiar or unusual object as a focus
- noun an
examplethat typifiesa principle
- noun a
punishmentintended as a deterrentto others
- noun idiomatic Anything used as an
exampleor lessonwhich serves to warnothers as to the outcomes that result from a particular action or behavior, as exemplified by the fatesof those who followed that course.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun punishment intended as a warning to others
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.