from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun The stain which is sometimes caused upon the back of a sheet by the colored or printed matter on the sheet which is placed against it.
  • Setting off; tending away.
  • Counterbalancing; equivalent.
  • noun The act of providing with a bend or offset.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • adjective Compensating for.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • verb Present participle of offset.
  • noun The act of offsetting
  • noun An amount offset


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • A "shadow" of a print that transfers to a facing page in a book.

    February 20, 2007