from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The general public; the masses.
- n. A population.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The common people of a nation.
- n. The inhabitants of a nation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The common people; the vulgar; the multitude, -- comprehending all persons not distinguished by rank, office, education, or profession.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The common people; the vulgar; the multitude, comprehending all persons not distinguished by rank, education, office, or profession.
- n. Synonyms Populace, Mob, Rabble, crowd, masses. Populace is nsed to represent the lower classes, the body of those without wealth, education, or recognized position; it is, however, much less opprobrious than mob or rabble. Mob is a very strong word for a tumultuous or even riotous assembly, moved to or toward lawlessness by discontent or some similar exciting cause. Rabble is a contemptuous word for the very lowest classes, considered as confused or without sufficient strength or unity of feeling to make them especially dangerous.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. people in general considered as a whole
Generalization of a certain populace is an ignorant approach to protecting your idea of how to live.
The worst illusion pundits foist on the populace is the idea that if we just elect the right guy (or gal) to be president, everything will be fine.
Given that our last 4 quarters of growth are comparable to the best numbers in the Clinton presidency, the degree of economic pessimism in the populace is amazing.
On the other hand, the populace is atomized (deprived of meaningful ties to others); the only major non corporate-government institutions are the cooptable churches.
I can't quite describe the level of annoyance that the bald business guru brings to a room of gentle drinkers, trying to enjoy themselves while the rest of the populace is at work, but a sudden wail from a man in the far corner, similar to that of a small dog yanked forcefully by the tail, alerts everyone that something is terribly wrong.
An uneducated populace is easy to frighten and manipulate, which is clearly the way some people want it.
Some of the populace is beyond a doubt idiotic, but the networks are BANKING that most of them are.
Essentially, our populace is stupid, ill-informed, and intellectually lazy.
The networks are the reason the populace is misinformed, and it is totally planned.
The lack of education among the GOP populace is becoming very dangerous. obama sucks