from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The human race; humankind. See Usage Note at man.
- n. Men as opposed to women.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The human race in its entirety.
- n. All male men as opposed to all women.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The human race; man, taken collectively.
- n. Men, as distinguished from women; the male portion of human race.
- n. Human feelings; humanity.
- adj. Manlike; not womanly; masculine; bold; cruel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The human race; men collectively.
- n. The masculine division of humanity; men, as distinguished from women.
- n. Human kindness; humanity.
- Resembling man, not woman, in form or nature; unwomanly; masculine; coarse; bold.
- Of virile power; strong; ferocious; furious.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. all of the living human inhabitants of the earth
The rule and the subordination which is essential to the existence of the family, God made commensurate with mankind; for _mankind is only the congeries of families_.
And as you _admonish_ me for suggesting that God originally designed death for the good of mankind you cannot be consistent with yourself, as I can see, without believing that God originally designed death for a _damage_ to _mankind_.
II. iii.67 (297,2) [A mankind witch:] A _mankind_ woman, is yet used in the midland counties, for a woman violent, ferocious, and mischievous.
You believe mankind is stupid and fallible and that America will destroy itself in a bloody mess.
Although I agree that mankind is stupid and fallible, the rest probably doesn't accurately reflect anything, as the latter aren't among my choices.
I ended my conversation with Marco by asking which he thought would come first: mankind is conquered by robots of our own design, or the U.S. wins the World Cup?
If the ancient prophecies and the 2012 doomsday Planet X hypothesis will soon unfold, mankind is facing a future full of dire prospects.
“The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.”
Once humans discovered it (in 1999), they rebuilt it with surplus metal, repainted it in primary colors and accidentally took it for a two-year joyride, proving that mankind is in fact the white trash of the galaxy.
Knowing that, how mankind is supposedly in the position to “destroy the earth” is beyond me.