from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • intransitive verb To swell or bulge.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • To swell beyond the adjacent surface; be prominent; bulge out.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • intransitive verb To swell, or be prominent, beyond the adjacent surface; to bulge out.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • verb intransitive To bulge outward, producing a rounded protuberance.
  • verb transitive, rare To cause to bulge outward.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • verb form a rounded prominence
  • verb cause to bulge out or project


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Late Latin prōtūberāre, prōtūberāt- : Latin prō-, forth; see pro– + Latin tūber, a swelling; see teuə- in Indo-European roots.]


  • The predominance of the querulous interloper rife in the quest to protuberate and wrest away the volition of the American taxpayer is in fact coming to conclusion.

    News -


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.