from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A container of flexible material, such as paper, plastic, or leather, that is used for carrying or storing items.
- noun A handbag; a purse.
- noun A piece of hand luggage, such as a suitcase or satchel.
- noun A pouchlike or sagging organ or part of the body, such as a cow's udder.
- noun An object that resembles a pouch.
- noun Nautical The sagging or bulging part of a sail.
- noun The amount that a bag can hold.
- noun An amount of game taken or legally permitted to be taken.
- noun Baseball A base.
- noun Slang An area of interest or skill.
- noun Slang A woman considered ugly or unkempt.
- intransitive verb To put into a bag.
- intransitive verb To cause to bulge like a pouch.
- intransitive verb To capture or kill as game.
- intransitive verb To gain; acquire.
- intransitive verb To capture or arrest.
- intransitive verb To accomplish or achieve.
- intransitive verb To fail to attend purposely; skip.
- intransitive verb To stop doing or considering; abandon.
- intransitive verb To terminate the employment of.
- intransitive verb To pack items in a bag.
- intransitive verb To hang loosely.
- intransitive verb To swell out; bulge.
- idiom (bag and baggage) With all one's belongings.
- idiom (bag and baggage) To a complete degree; entirely.
- idiom (bag it) To cease participating in an activity.
- idiom (bag it) To bring along one's lunch, as in a paper bag.
- idiom (in the bag) Assured of a successful outcome; virtually accomplished or won.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In base-ball, a base-bag.
- noun A swelling on a boiler-plate.
- noun In leather manufacturing, fullness in the middle of a skin, which prevents it from lying out flat and smooth. It is more marked in large skins.
- To cut with a reaping-hook or scythe: used especially of cutting pease.
- To swell or bulge.
- To hang loosely like a bag.
- To grow big with child.
- To put into a bag: as, to
- To distend like a bag; swell.
- To secure as game; shoot, entrap, or otherwise lay hold of: as, to
bagthirty brace of grouse.
- To make off with; steal.
- noun A small sack; a portable receptacle or repository of leather, cloth, paper, or other flexible material, capable of being closed at the mouth; a wallet; a pouch: as, a flour-bag; a carpet-bag or traveling-bag; a mail-bag. Specifically
- noun A purse or money-bag.
- noun A small silken pouch in which the back hair of the wig was curled away.
- noun What is contained in a bag; in hunting, the animals bagged or obtained in an expedition or a day's sport.
- noun A sac or receptacle in animal bodies containing some fluid or other substance: as, the honey-bag of a bee.
- noun An udder.
- noun plural The stomach.
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Is taking a showy suit of clothes out of bag and admiring them and is about to put them on when he hears some one coming and hurriedly puts them back into the bag_.
Often the term bag-chags (habit) appears as an umbrella term for both tendencies and constant habits.
I joined the Tea Party because dipping the tea bag is a great stress reliever.
But when the bag is accidentally put out with the trash, the poor toys are thrust into a series of misadventures.
What intrigues about this having five "celeb" books to read in my bag is the locations, the timing.
My best camera bag is a mini-igloo cooler with the logo of some lab equipment supplier with foam rubber lining the bottom. jenjen
Value: This bag is the second most expensive of those tested, but I feel it's a very good value.
Anyway, this bag is the first in the 2008 BQL (British Quilt List) Bag Challenge - each month there will be a new bag pattern for us to make (if we've made the previous one) - if you don't finish on time, you miss out on new patterns until you are finished.
The new bags carry text on the bottom identifying their greenness, This bag is the first generation of sealed, stay fresh coffee bags to include renewable resources in its design.
The rest of the bag is a foil laminate (plastic and aluminum foil).