from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A woman's purse.
- noun A piece of small hand luggage.
from The Century Dictionary.
- A bag for small articles, carried in the hand in traveling or shopping.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun a small bag usually made of cloth, leather or a similar imitation material, and often having a strap to permit carrying it by slinging it over a shoulder, used by women to carry money and small personal items or accessories.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A small bag used by women (or sometimes by men) for carrying various small personal items.
- noun uncountable An
anthemic subgenreof house musicof the late 1980s, often with booming vocals.
- verb UK (
transitive, humorous) Figuratively, to hit with a handbag; to attack verbally or subject to criticism (used originally of Margaret Thatcher).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a container used for carrying money and small personal items or accessories (especially by women)
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
hand + bag. The music genre is named from women dancing around a pile of their handbags in nightclubs.
Sorry, no example sentences found.