from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A special pursuit, occupation, aptitude, or skill.
- noun A branch of medicine or surgery, such as cardiology or neurosurgery, in which a physician specializes; the field or practice of a specialist.
- noun An item or product of a distinctive kind or of particular superiority.
- noun Law A contract or agreement that creates a greater obligation than an ordinary contract or agreement because it is executed under seal.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The fact or condition of being special or particular; particularity of origin, cause, use, significance, etc.
- noun The special or distinctive nature of anything; essence; principle; groundwork.
- noun A special quality or characteristic; a distinguishing feature; a speciality. See
- noun A special or particular matter or thing; something specific or exceptional in character, relation, use, or the like.
- noun A special employment or pursuit; a distinct occupation or division of duty or interest; that which one does especially, either by choice or by assignment.
- noun A special product or manufacture; something made in a special manner or form, or especially characteristic of the producer or of the place of production: as, a dealer in specialties; also, an article to which a dealer professes to pay special attention or care, or which is alleged to possess special advantages in regard to quality, quantity, or price: as, fountain-pens a specialty. See the second quotation under speciality, 2.
- noun In law, an instrument under seal, containing an express or implied agreement for the payment of money.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun Particularity.
- noun obsolete A particular or peculiar case.
- noun (Law) A contract or obligation under seal; a contract by deed; a writing, under seal, given as security for a debt particularly specified.
- noun That for which a person is distinguished, in which he is specially versed, or which he makes an object of special attention; a speciality.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun North America That in which one
specializes; a chosen expertiseor talent.
- noun obsolete
- noun A
particularor peculiar case.
- noun law A
contractor obligationunder seal; a contract by deed; a writing, under seal, given as securityfor a debtparticularly specified.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the special line of work you have adopted as your career
- noun an asset of special worth or utility
- noun a distinguishing trait
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
specialize + -ty
Sorry, no example sentences found.