from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The act of injecting.
- noun Something that is injected, especially a dose of liquid medicine injected into the body.
- noun Mathematics A function that is one-to-one.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In geology, the penetration of a rock by a molten magma.
- noun The act of injecting or throwing in; the act of forcing in, as a fluid into a passage, cavity, or substance of loose texture: as, the injection of a drug by means of a syringe; the injection of cold water into a steam-condenser to produce a vacuum.
- noun In anatomy, the act of injecting a body for dissection; the process of filling the vessels or other cavities of a body, or some part of a body, with a preservative, coloring, or other fluid.
- noun Specifically, in medicine, the giving of an enema; also, the enema given.
- noun That which is injected, as a fluid; specifically, any substance or preparation forced into an animal body to preserve it, display it, or otherwise fit it for dissection or other examination.
- noun The state of being hyperemic or bloodshot: as, the injection of the conjunctiva of an inflamed eye.
- noun Figuratively, a throwing in, as of a remark, hint, or suggestion; an injected saying or influence.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The act of injecting or throwing in; -- applied particularly to the forcible insertion of a liquid or gas, by means of a syringe, pump, etc.
- noun That which is injected; especially, a liquid inserted thrown into a cavity of the body by a syringe or pipe; a clyster; an enema.
- noun The act or process of filling vessels, cavities, or tissues with a fluid or other substance.
- noun A specimen prepared by injection.
- noun The act of throwing cold water into a condenser to produce a vacuum.
- noun The cold water thrown into a condenser.
- noun (Steam Eng.) the cock or valve through which cold water is admitted into a condenser.
- noun See under
- noun the pipe through which cold water is through into the condenser of a steam engine.
- noun a method of inserting fuel into internal-combustion engines by directly forcing the liquid fuel into the combustion chamber at an appropriate point in the piston cycle; in contrast to
carburetion, in which an air-fuel mixture is drawn in by the downward stroke of the piston.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The act of
injecting, or something that is injected.
- noun specifically, medicine Something injected
subcutaneously, intravenously, or intramuscularlyby use of a syringeand a needle.
- noun set theory A
functionthat maps distinct x in the domainto distinct y in the codomain; formally, a f: X → Y such that f(a) = f(b) implies a = b for any a, b in the domain.
- noun mathematics A
relationon sets (X,Y) that associates each element of Y with at most one element of X.
- noun figuratively The addition of
moneyto someone, or to a business.
- noun programming The
insertionof program codeinto an application, URL, hardware, etc.
- noun A
specimenprepared by injection.
- noun The act of throwing
cold waterinto a condenserto produce a vacuum.
- noun The cold water thrown into a condenser to produce a vacuum.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the act of putting a liquid into the body by means of a syringe
- noun any solution that is injected (as into the skin)
- noun the forceful insertion of a substance under pressure
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
This execution by lethal injection is unbearable because it is absurd and absurd because it is unbearable.
"And SQL injection is the fastest-growing category of attacks affecting Web applications."
Imaging will begin anywhere from 30 minutes up to four hours after the injection is given.
When necessary, surgical interventions, such as selective dorsal rhizotomy performed by neurosurgeons and Botulinum toxin injection/motor point block by the physiatrists, can be used to treat problems that result from cerebral palsy.
After the injection is complete, your child will lay on the exam table for the imaging portion of the test.
Treatment of arthritic joints by intra-articular corticosteroid injection is available.
The program, extended last week with a $2 billion cash injection, is bound to thin the herd.
The dermal filler injection is injected in the ball of the foot to ease the pain caused by wearing high heels.
Locog, sponsors and coalition politicians, desperate for the Games to succeed both on their own terms and as a mid-term injection of flag waving optimism against a gloomy economic backdrop, must walk an increasingly fine line between encouraging them to get on board and hectoring them to do so.
The airline received a 3 billion yuan ($440 million) capital injection from the government in November to help it ride out the crisis.