from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A flowing in: an influx of foreign capital.
- n. A mass arrival or incoming: an influx of visitors to the city; large influxes of refugees.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A flow inward or into something.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of flowing in.
- n. A coming in; infusion; intromission; introduction; importation in abundance; also, that which flows or comes in.
- n. Influence; power.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of flowing in; an inflow: as, an influx of light.
- n. Infusion; intromission.
- n. Influence; power.
- n. A flowing or coming in; continuous introgression: as, a great influx of goods into a country.
- n. The place or point at which one stream flows into another or into the sea: as, at the influx of the brook.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the process of flowing in
This influx is alarming in a country of just 6 million people, especially one that has experienced rising Islamist militancy in the last decade.
Many say the influx is straining the country's social welfare system.
I refuse to take at face value your claim that “most of the refugee/asylee influx is fraudulent.”
The Greek police minister, Christos Papoutsis, said at the weekend: "A mass influx is noted daily on the Greek land border with Turkey by third-country nationals attempting to illegally enter the country with the aim of accessing other EU countries."
There was a certain influx of emotion in me as well, but I think it was more due to the sheer playfulness of the film than a last-minute revelation.
The size and duration of today's influx is unprecedented; you may not be aware of the scale of it.
As for local businesses - the $$ influx is far overrated.
He always said the word influx as though it was gum and he was popping that X between his molars.
About one hundred years ago the white man first looked upon the Province of British Columbia, and if the present influx from the Orient to Canada continues, it will be less than one hundred years before the last white man has looked upon it.
During the last twenty years in influx of Chinese into Canada far exceeded that of the other two races under consideration.