from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of several large terrestrial African and Arabian monkeys of the genus Papio, having an elongated doglike muzzle and bare calluses on the buttocks.
- noun Slang A brutish person; a boor.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A quadrumanous animal of the old world, of the subfamily Cynopithecinæ, and especially of either of the genera Cynocephalus (or Papio) and Mandrilla (or Mormon).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Zoöl.) One of the Old World Quadrumana, of the genera Cynocephalus and Papio; the dog-faced ape. Baboons have dog-like muzzles and large canine teeth, cheek pouches, a short tail, and naked callosities on the buttocks. They are mostly African. See
mandrill, and chacma, and drillan ape.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun zoology Mostly African
primates. One of the Old World Quadrumana, of the genera Cynocephalus and Papio; the dog-faced ape. Baboons have dog-like muzzlesand large canineteeth, cheek pouches, a short tail, and naked callositieson the buttocks.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun large terrestrial monkeys having doglike muzzles
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word baboon.
Is it racist if Rafiki the baboon is played by Patrick Ewing without any make-up in The Lion King?
He claims that he was called a "baboon" and a "criminal" in a unit where racist language was allegedly commonplace.
In his defence, Herselman argued that the word baboon was common in conversational Afrikaans and had no malicious or bad intentions.
They found that drill-mangabeys and drills and mandrills shared numerous features that aren’t present in baboon-mangabeys and baboons.
There were dahlia and rhododendron plants, avocado trees and fuchsias, even a fascinating hairy-leaved thing called a baboon flower.
"Take a letter to Kublai Khan, " I said to Mon Cul, pretending that the baboon was my secretary.
"Where is Mappo now?" asked a small baboon, which is another kind of monkey.
The baboon is a vegetarian but no bigot, and will eat mutton chops without protest.
The ape and the baboon are the most skilled of all animals in making their flight.
One day, while we were eating a red monkey erroneously called the baboon, in Demerara, an Arowack Indian told an affecting story of what happened to
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.