from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large fierce baboon (Papio sphinx syn. Mandrillus sphinx) of western Africa, having a beard, crest, and mane and brilliant blue, purple, and scarlet facial markings in the adult male.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A primate, Mandrillus sphinx, recognized by its colorful face and rump
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A large West African baboon (Papio sphinx syn. Mandrillus sphinx, formerly Cynocephalus mormon syn. Papio mormon). The adult male has, on the sides of the nose, large, naked, grooved swellings, conspicuously striped with blue and red. It is an endangered species.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of baboon; the great blue-faced or rib-nosed baboon; the hog-ape, Cynocephalus maimon or mormon, the largest and most formidable, ferocious, and hideous of baboons.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. baboon of west Africa with a bright red and blue muzzle and blue hindquarters
The mandrill is a native of West Africa, where he is much dreaded by the negroes.
Large, charismatic mammals such as mandrill, forest elephant, and lowland gorilla are relatively easy to hunt but reproduce slowly, and populations do not increase quickly after hunting.
Here's the original album cover, which featured an armored mandrill
(Speaker bends over and reveals a butt that would sexually enrage a mandrill)
Image Bank/Getty Images Animals like the mandrill, eaten as bushmeat, harbor diseases that can jump to humans.
The mandrill, mockingbird, and muskrat are wizards of any domain, take no prisoners, give no apology
In the past, the University of Veracruz transported a colony of red-cheeked changos (mandrill baboons native to Thailand) to the island for studies.
He poses a mandrill on a stool, an Atlantic Green Sea Turtle belly up on a white cushion and shoots a close-up of a rhino's hind end.
His principal adviser, an elderly mandrill, approached and dared to whisper in his ear.
The mandrill did not share his Master's peculiar tastes, and he shuddered for the lady in the library.