from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A shallow body of water, especially one separated from a sea by sandbars or coral reefs.
- n. A shallow body of liquid waste material, as one in a dump.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A shallow body of water separated from deeper sea by a bar.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A shallow sound, channel, pond, or lake, especially one into which the sea flows.
- n. A lake in a coral island, often occupying a large portion of its area, and usually communicating with the sea. See Atoll.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An area of shallow water, or even of marshy land, bordering on the sea, and usually separated from the region of deeper water outside by a belt of sand or of sand-dunes, more or less changeable in position.
- n. With reference to Tuscany and some other parts of Italy, the basin of a hot spring, especially one from which borax is obtained: from the Italian use of lagone in this sense.
- n. In occasional use, the area of still water inclosed within an atoll, which is often called a lagoon island. See atoll.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a body of water cut off from a larger body by a reef of sand or coral
I agree with you, though a lagoon is no millpond for riding it out.
The lagoon is thirty miles long and five miles wide.
There is a sublime view of the lagoon from the summit of the mountains located north of the hacienda of La Labor.
When the king wanted to buy a certain islet in the lagoon from the chief priest, McAllister said no.
Lots of similar ideas have been floated over the years, including a villain-themed park across the lagoon from the Magic Kingdom, with an evil, lurking castle to counterpoint the frosted confection that the "good" side sports.
The lagoon is naturally covered to prevent the manure from escaping, and lined in plastic to stop the manure from seeping to the ground water.
This artificial lagoon is entirely immersed, ballasting the city.
Eating at the restaurants on the lagoon is not too big a gamble as most are pretty good.
Strange aquatic animal found in lagoon of Santa Catalina (Bolivar)
Sosa's place by a swampy lagoon is so enormous that it didn't even feel crowded.