from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • intransitive verb To stare with wide and bulging eyes.
  • intransitive verb To roll or bulge. Used of the eyes.
  • intransitive verb To roll or bulge (the eyes).
  • noun A stare or leer.
  • noun A pair of tight-fitting eyeglasses, often tinted or having side shields, worn to protect the eyes from hazards such as wind, glare, water, or flying debris.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • To strain or roll the eyes in a squinting, blinking, or staring way; roll about staringly, as the eyes.
  • To roll or shake about loosely.
  • To roll (the eyes) about blinkingly and staringly.
  • noun A strained, blinking, or squinting rolling of the eye.
  • noun plural An instrument worn like spectacles, with plain or colored glasses fixed in short tubes spreading at the base over the eyes, for their protection from cold, dust, sparks, etc., or from too great intensity of light, or so contrived as to direct the eyes straight forward, in order to cure squinting.
  • noun Spectacles.
  • noun Blinds for horses that are apt to take fright.
  • To swallow; gobble.
  • noun plural A parasitic disease of sheep, caused by the presence of a bladder-worm in the brain which causes dizziness, staggering gait, walking in a circle, spasms, and convulsions. Also called staggers, gid, and turnsick.
  • noun The garden gooseberry, Ribes Grossularia.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • adjective Full and rolling, or staring; -- said of the eyes.
  • noun A strained or affected rolling of the eye.
  • noun A kind of spectacles with short, projecting eye tubes, in the front end of which are fixed plain glasses for protecting the eyes from cold, dust, etc.
  • noun Colored glasses for relief from intense light.
  • noun A disk with a small aperture, to direct the sight forward, and cure squinting.
  • noun Any screen or cover for the eyes, with or without a slit for seeing through.
  • intransitive verb To roll the eyes; to stare.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • verb to stare (at something) with wide eyes
  • verb to roll the eyes
  • noun a wide-eyed stare
  • noun in the plural a pair of protective eyeglasses

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • verb look with amazement; look stupidly


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Middle English gogelen, to squint.]

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

This definition is lacking an etymology or has an incomplete etymology. You can help Wiktionary by giving it a proper etymology.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.