from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To cheat or defraud of money or property.
- transitive v. To obtain by fraudulent means: swindled money from the company.
- intransitive v. To practice fraud as a means of obtaining money or property.
- n. The act or an instance of swindling.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to defraud (someone)
- v. to obtain money or property by fraudulent or deceitful methods
- n. an instance of swindling
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To cheat defraud grossly, or with deliberate artifice.
- n. The act or process of swindling; a cheat.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To cheat or defraud. The word implies, commonly, recourse to petty and mean artifices for obtaining money which may or may not be strictly illegal.
- n. The act or process of swindling; a fraudulent scheme; an act of cheating; an imposition; a fraud.
- n. Anything that is deceptive or not what it is said or thought to be.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme
- v. deprive of by deceit
The swindle is the implicit assumption this will raise the overall correlation between compensation and quality from approximately zero to approximately one.
This plan was a swindle from the very start, and every body in the Congress and Pentagon knew it.
He leveled his gaze at me and said, "Hey, hey, hey," long dramatic pause, "swindle is an awfully harsh word."
If you look up a grift in the dictionary, its defined as a swindle - a confidence game.
I seriously doubt it … it’s not to your benefit to do so in this case. bobby swindle is soooooooo last year’s news …. after the shining start of the repugnantscum party crashed, burned and fell to the earth after that atrocious rebuttal to obama’s speech.
Instead, the way that they accomplished the swindle is explained in this post.]
Bozo The Neoclown says: bobby swindle is soooooooo last year’s news …. after the shining start of the repugnantscum party crashed, burned and fell to the earth after that atrocious rebuttal to obama’s speech.
Eckoh claimed the swindle was already in place when they took over the contract in 2004.
The GOP candidate who compared the popular retirement program to what the dictionary defines as a swindle?
The swindle is another blow to Queensland Health, which is still reeling from the payroll bungle of 18 months ago.