from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various birds of the widely distributed family Columbidae, characteristically having plump bodies, small heads, and short legs, especially the rock dove or any of its domesticated varieties.
- n. Slang One who is easily swindled; a dupe.
- n. An object of special concern; an affair or matter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One of several birds of the family Columbidae, which consists of more than 300 species.
- n. A person who is a target or victim of a confidence game.
- v. to deceive with a confidence game
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any bird of the order Columbæ, of which numerous species occur in nearly all parts of the world.
- n. An unsuspected victim of sharpers; a gull.
- transitive v. To pluck; to fleece; to swindle by tricks in gambling.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To pluck; fleece; strip of money by the tricks of gambling.
- n. Any bird of the family Columbidæ (which see for technical characters); a dove. ; ;
- n. A simpleton to be swindled; a gull: opposed to rook. See stool-pigeon.
- n. A toy consisting of a light propeller-wheel, which, on being made to revolve rapidly by means of a string wound about a shaft on which it rests, rises in the air in a short flight.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. wild and domesticated birds having a heavy body and short legs
The pulses race with "Report of cat trapped at address in Tameside", only to deflate with the note that the stool-pigeon is a regular nuisance caller.
The problem with eating pigeon is what they are made up of - you must know what they eat??!!
If the animal, say a pigeon is slaughtered in a humane way for a purpose then hey ho.
RUCerious, desert pigeon is a member in fine standing with the 101st chairborne.
Now a one-footed pigeon is riding in my tube carriage.
Despite being told that the passenger pigeon is extinct, Fibber claims he sees one every day.
The story of the passenger pigeon is not yet over.
This last came by carrier pigeon from the Fuhrer Bunker.
Hi Pille, thank you, Im glad you like them, this pigeon is certainly getting his due!
He won the House of Commons steeplechase and founded the most celebrated bloodstock line in pigeon racing.