from The Century Dictionary.
- To pluck; fleece; strip of money by the tricks of gambling.
- noun Any bird of the family Columbidæ (which see for technical characters); a dove. ; ;
- noun A simpleton to be swindled; a gull: opposed to rook. See
- noun A toy consisting of a light propeller-wheel, which, on being made to revolve rapidly by means of a string wound about a shaft on which it rests, rises in the air in a short flight.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- transitive verb Slang To pluck; to fleece; to swindle by tricks in gambling.
- noun (Zoöl.) Any bird of the order Columbæ, of which numerous species occur in nearly all parts of the world.
- noun Slang An unsuspected victim of sharpers; a gull.
- noun (Zoöl.) an Australian passerine bird (
Graucalus melanops); -- called also black-faced crow.
- noun (Zoöl.) any one of numerous species of Old World pigeons belonging to the family
- noun (Zoöl.) any one of the large Asiatic fruit pigeons of the genus Carpophada.
- noun (Bot.) the purplish black fruit of the pokeweed; also, the plant itself. See
- noun an extraordinary and grotesque dialect, employed in the commercial cities of China, as the medium of communication between foreign merchants and the Chinese. Its base is English, with a mixture of Portuguese and Hindustani.
- noun (Bot.) a kind of foxtail grass (
Setaria glauca), of some value as fodder. The seeds are eagerly eaten by pigeons and other birds.
- noun (Zoöl.) The American sharp-shinned hawk (
Accipiter veloxor Accipiter fuscus).
- noun An old English game, in which balls were rolled through little arches.
- noun a dovecote.
- noun (Bot.) the seed of
Cajanus Indicus; a kind of pulse used for food in the East and West Indies; also, the plant itself.
- noun (Bot.) the edible drupes of two West African species of Chrysobalanus (
Chrysobalanus ellipticusand Chrysobalanus luteus).
- noun (Zoöl.) See under
- noun (Bot.) a name in the West Indies for the wood of several very different kinds of trees, species of Dipholis, Diospyros, and Coccoloba.
- noun (Zoöl.) the flicker.
- noun (Zoöl.), [Local, U.S.] The golden plover.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun One of several birds of the family
Columbidae, which consists of more than 300 species.
- noun slang A person who is a
targetor victimof a confidence game.
- verb transitive to
deceivewith a confidence game
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun wild and domesticated birds having a heavy body and short legs
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
RUCerious, desert pigeon is a member in fine standing with the 101st chairborne.
The pulses race with "Report of cat trapped at address in Tameside", only to deflate with the note that the stool-pigeon is a regular nuisance caller.
The problem with eating pigeon is what they are made up of - you must know what they eat??!!
If the animal, say a pigeon is slaughtered in a humane way for a purpose then hey ho.
Now a one-footed pigeon is riding in my tube carriage.
This last came by carrier pigeon from the Fuhrer Bunker.
Despite being told that the passenger pigeon is extinct, Fibber claims he sees one every day.
The story of the passenger pigeon is not yet over.
Hi Pille, thank you, Im glad you like them, this pigeon is certainly getting his due!
He won the House of Commons steeplechase and founded the most celebrated bloodstock line in pigeon racing.
New comments are temporarily disabled while we update our database.