from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To subject to an excessive burden or strain.
- transitive v. To tax in excess of what is considered appropriate or just.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To tax to an excessive degree
- v. To overburden
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To tax or to task too heavily.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To tax too heavily or oppressively; hence, to exact too much from in any way.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. tax excessively
Sorry, no etymologies found.
But as more EVs replace regular cars, they could overtax the current power grid if they aren't charged at off-peak times.
No matter how strong your willpower muscle becomes, it's important to always respect the fact that it is limited, and if you overtax it, you will temporarily run out of steam.
"Teaching" universities completely disinterested in competitive research can hire absolutely brilliant professors and then overtax them by not giving them support.
It says that sometimes we have excess capacity, and sometimes we overtax capacity, but on average we get it right.
The report said that the use of contractors in the United States' earlier contingencies did not overtax agencies' capacity to support, manage and oversee them, because the contingencies' scope or duration were comparatively smaller or shorter than the ongoing operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The worst-hit utility, Sempra Energy's San Diego Gas & Electric Co., asked customers to conserve power throughout the weekend so as not to overtax a still-fragile system.
Despite the possibility that a handful of Republicans will vote for the climate change bill, party leaders continue to pound their message that a new set of environmental regulations will overtax Americans and eliminate jobs.
- Despite the possibility that a handful of Republicans will vote for the climate change bill, party leaders continue to pound their message that a new set of environmental regulations will overtax Americans and eliminate jobs.
I do understand that she is a young queen away with her court remember I also took the waters there, but she must remember her purpose and not overtax herself.
That he's really sharp in his thinking and cool in his behavior; that we're in good hands as long as we don't overtax him with work and blame him for the mess the country's in when he just, in a sense, got here.