from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Of or relating to a repeating process whose output at each stage is applied as input in the succeeding stage.
- adjective Mathematics Of or relating to a sequential formula or function in which the first term or first set of terms is given, but in which subsequent terms are defined in relation to preceding terms.
- adjective Computers Of or relating to an algorithm or procedure which refers to itself in its definition or calls itself in its execution.
- adjective Linguistics Relating to or characterized by recursion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
drawingupon itself, referring back.
- adjective mathematics, not comparable of an
expression, each termof which is determinedby applying a formulato precedingterms
- adjective computing, not comparable of a
programor functionthat calls itself
- adjective computing theory, not comparable, of a function which can be computed by a theoretical model of a computer, in a finite amount of time
- adjective computing theory, not comparable, of a set whose characteristic function is recursive (4)
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective of or relating to a recursion
Sorry, no etymologies found.
What makes it recursive is when we shift back to previous steps such as research or editing.
When my JSON endpoint returns a list of strings to be displayed in turn maybe the current top 10 blog posts, I call a recursive display function that does the simple task of showing each in turn.
I’m fairly sure of this, but wait, first the eggs come from chickens, but those also came from eggs …. can’t think, stuck in recursive loop ….
Through goodwill, I created a long series of what you might call recursive loops of gullibility that brought me an infinite source of investors.
In the 1980s in my C++ computer class at University, I learned a powerful coding technique called recursive algorithms.
The XSLT file in this project can help you understand calling recursive templates, and also gives an idea about how to use in-built functions.
Also, for each of these you will find a "driver" class in the default package which simply calls the recursive and iterative implementations and then displays the measurements returned by the SimpleMeasurement interface that each such implementation will have to offer.
DestroyMenu is recursive, that is, it will destroy the menu and all its submenus.
A statistical method called recursive partitioning was then used to divide treatment groups into "high" or "low" exposure and to determine the relationship between length of drug exposure and long-term outcomes.
It is sometimes also referred to as the recursive model.