from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To relinquish a claim to; surrender by deed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The repetition or return of the opening material later in a composition.
- n. A renewal of a failed action, without withdrawing the arm.
- v. To surrender all interest in a property by executing a deed, to quitclaim.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A giving or granting back; surrender; return; release, as of a claim.
- n. A house for covered carriages; a chaise house.
- n. A livery carriage of a kind superior to an ordinary fiacre; -- so called because kept in a remise.
- transitive v. To send, give, or grant back; to release a claim to; to resign or surrender by deed; to return.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To send back; remit.
- To give or grant back; release a claim to; resign or surrender by deed.
- n. In law, a granting back; a surrender; release, as of a claim.
- n. A livery-carriage: so called (for French voiture de remise) as kept in a carriage-house, and distinguished from a fiacre or hackney-coach, which is found on a stand in the public street.
- n. In fencing, a second thrust which hits the mark after the first thrust has missed, made while the fencer is extended in the lunge.
- n. A carriage-house in which a remise is kept.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small building for housing coaches and carriages and other vehicles
- n. an expensive or high-class hackney
- n. (fencing) a second thrust made on the same lunge (as when your opponent fails to riposte)
(Voitures de Place) and Voitures de Remise was abolished and the following "Tarif Maximum" appointed for both, provided the latter are hired in the street (not from a "remise").
'remise'; there are 2 options for journeys by car here; taxis which use meters and remise for which a fixed price is agreed for a journey.
Speaking of gumption, I am here today to tell you that I have finally succeeded in getting that remise -- or discount -- on my latest book and I would like to extend this gift to you as we celebrate the New Year!
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference remise:
Le schéma constitutionnel - remise du pouvoir à la présidente du Sénat puis élections - sera-t-il respecté?
If we are talking the person who most influenced the “Naughties” both good and bad I think we would be remise in not including … here it comes Tyler are you ready?
La semaine dernière, J.K. Rowling a tenu un discours lors de la remise de diplômes à Harvard.
Caijing: There are media reports that the income of the land remise fund from last year is over 100 billion yuan.
Mayor Han: The land remise fund was 68 billion yuan.
As I said before, you start from a wrong remise and keep repeating a false claim.