from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A giant; anything large.
- n. A large pea, the marrowfat.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Large; strong; -- from the gigantic bones shown at Roncesvalles, and alleged to be those of old heroes.
- n. A giant; anything large; a kind of pea called also marrowfat.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A giant; hence, anything very large and strong.
- n. The marrowfat pea: so called from its large size.
- Large; strong; robustious.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The fruit of the fig is about as big as a rounceval pea, or very small gooseberry; and each of them, upon breaking off the stalk very close, produces one drop of a milky liquor, resembling the juice of our figs, of which the tree is indeed a species.