from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A miner who rushes into a newly opened gold region, with a determination to get ahead of others.
- noun One who rushes; one who acts with undue haste and violence.
- noun Specifically, in foot-ball, a player whose special function it is to force the ball toward his opponents' goal, prevent it from being kicked or brought toward his own, and protect the backs while they kick or run with the ball.
- noun A go-ahead person; a rustler.
- noun One who strews rushes on the floors at dances.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun obsolete One who strewed rushes on the floor at dances.
- noun One who rushes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A person who
- noun American football The
fastdefensive position whose objective is to sackthe offensive team's quarterback.
- noun obsolete One who
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a person who rushes; someone in a hurry; someone who acts precipitously
- noun (football) a ball carrier who tries to gain ground by running with the ball
- noun someone who migrates as part of a rush to a new gold field or a new territory
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Terrell Suggs, the team's top pass rusher, is coming off his third Pro Bowl season as a rush end-linebacker.
The 49ers spent big free agent money on Justin Smith to be their pass-rusher from the right end.
DE Justin Smith was signed but edge rusher is still needed.
The Tide's leading rusher is junior Glen Coffee, whose name clearly belongs in headlines.
Late bloomer who has developed into an effective edge rusher from the strongside linebacker position.
Jammal Brown or Khalif Barnes would be good options here if the big edge rusher is gone.
When a man retires as the NFL's all-time leading rusher, is inducted into the Hall of Fame and sends his son off to play college football, he did some living.
He's a solid pass rusher, which is an area we struggle in.
Even after the injury, he's still a solid speed rusher, which is the biggest need of the defensive line.
I guess this proves that the rusher is the official wagonmaster of the 23\%ers as they circle those Conestogas tighter and tighter.