from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A woman teacher, especially one who is regarded as strict or old-fashioned.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A woman who is a teacher, especially a teacher in a schoolhouse; may carry the connotation she is severe.
- n. A person, male or female, who exhibits characteristics attributed to schoolteachers of the old times (as strict adherence to arbitrary rules, is strict on those who don't comply to those rules, etc.)
- n. A tree with two or more trunks; a forked tree.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bad spelling of schoolma'am.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a woman schoolteacher (especially one regarded as strict)
Are you a woman in her thirties or a schoolmarm from the thirties?
She piles her hair up in a librarian's bun and wears what she calls "schoolmarm" glasses (one blogger compared her to "Tina Fey's sexier sister").
Whiteside was set to wed "schoolmarm" Elaine Fair.
"schoolmarm" thing to say but if people cooked more at home they would at least know how particular dishes ought to taste and of what they should be made.
Not only was it the time of Reagan, but it was also when (anecdotally) the majority of teachers shifted from schoolmarm types to Mr. Van Dreesen hippie types.
With the impatient imperiousness of an Oxfordshire schoolmarm, O'Donnell's Democratic opponent, Chris Coons, lectured, "The First Amendment, the First Amendment establishes ... that there is a separation of church and state that our courts and our laws must respect."
We can perhaps see these two, in another life, as the unfailingly organized schoolmarm (Whitman) and the rebel rousing student (Brown).
What film, even before that killjoy schoolmarm Joseph Breen brought his Squaresville strictness to the Production Code in 1934, has ever presented the potentially salacious scenario of three-way love in such a wistfully complicated way?
You also said I looked like a woman (your mom) and now are calling me a schoolmarm, (another woman).
I hope those UK rad-flees get what they deserve and their “victorian schoolmarm” law fail to pass.