from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A gambling machine operated by inserting coins into a slot and often by pulling down on a long handle.
- n. A vending machine operated by inserting coins into a slot.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any machine operated by placing a coin or token into a slot.
- n. A gambling machine so operated; a fruit machine or one-armed bandit.
- n. A vending machine.
- n. three of a kind sevens
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A machine the operation of which is started by dropping a coin into a slot, for delivering small articles of merchandise, showing one's weight, exhibiting pictures, throwing dice, gambling, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A machine for vending small articles of merchandise, exhibiting pictures, weighing, playing musical instruments, etc., which is either unlocked or set in motion by dropping a coin into a slot. See vending-machine.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a machine that is operated by the insertion of a coin in a slot
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Established gambling companies also are preparing for an expected future of legal online gambling, including casino giants such as Caesars Entertainment as well as lottery software providers and slot machine manufacturers.
Paul Lamberhurst and Alf Silverman both paid me visits to fill in some background or get clarification on the files that life’s slot machine had rained on them.
The slot machine nearest them exploded in a shower of glass and shredded plastic, change zinging out from its ruined bottom and sparks flying.