from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To reside temporarily. See Synonyms at stay1.
- n. A temporary stay; a brief period of residence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A short stay somewhere.
- n. A temporary residence.
- v. To reside somewhere temporarily, especially as a guest or lodger.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To dwell for a time; to dwell or live in a place as a temporary resident or as a stranger, not considering the place as a permanent habitation; to delay; to tarry.
- n. A temporary residence, as that of a traveler in a foreign land.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To dwell for a time; dwell or live in a place as a temporary resident, or as a stranger, not considering the place as a permanent habitation.
- Synonyms Abide, Sojourn, Continue, etc. see abide.
- n. A temporary stay or residence, as that of a traveler.
- n. A place of temporary stay or abode.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a temporary stay (e.g., as a guest)
- v. spend a certain length of time; reside temporarily
Nine years after my Elgin sojourn, I am standing in the balcony of the City Center near Times Square watching what I thought to be a group of aliens emanating from another dimension.
Drill baby Drill was being chanted today after taking a brief sojourn from the campaign trail and I noticed this weekend that gas prices have dropped over a dollar nation wide.
Though Mr. Venkatesh did draw on his experiences in his dissertation, and in several much-discussed academic papers, the final result of his sojourn is Gang Leader for a Day: A Rogue Sociologist Takes to the Streets (Penguin Press, 320 pages, $25.95).
ENDICOTT, N.Y. Jason Bohn's sojourn is finally over.
Enjoy your sojourn from the Welsh political scene, and do come back when they get rid of Peter Hain's jerry-mandering joke of an electoral system!
When Michigan State cornerback Amp Campbell walks on the field Thursday night to play Oregon, his sojourn from the football field to career-threatening injury to the classroom and back to the football field will come full circle.
When NS&I launched its bond just four months ago I was reassured by officials that this was not a short-term sojourn into the market, and that they anticipated the bond being available for a sustained period.
Orwell’s Spanish sojourn is a significant episode in both the literary history of the English language and in global intellectual history.
Just call our sojourn: "If it's Friday, it must be Ithaca."
From this you might suppose that my sojourn was a continuous orgy; not at all.