from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A moderate purplish red.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The color of rosaniline; an intensely chromatic and luminous purplish rose-color. see
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun A brilliant deep pink color with a purplish tinge, one of the dyes derived from aniline; -- so called from Solferino in Italy, where a battle was fought about the time of its discovery.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A brilliant
purple- red dyederived from aniline
- noun The
purple- red colourof this dye
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun an indecisive battle in 1859 between the French and Sardinians under Napoleon III and the Austrians under Francis Joseph I
- noun a pink dye that was discovered in 1859, the year a battle was fought at Solferino
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Main Street, when I saw Mary Sam's solferino bonnet bobbin 'up and down inside.
"Them cheeks is now a deep solferino colour," he observed, and
We'll paint the Langham a fine bright solferino, when the church parade is over. '
The seats were long benches, upholstered with solferino-colored damask and the scenes were the merest daubs.
The pure arsenical tones are preferred in the Bend, and, by the bye, anybody who remembers the days when ladies wore magenta and solferino, and wants to have those dear old colors set his teeth on edge again, can go to the Bend and find them there.
New comments are temporarily disabled while we update our database.