from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Located or placed just beneath the skin: subcutaneous tissue; a subcutaneous implant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to the fatty layer under the skin.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Situated under the skin; hypodermic.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Situated beneath the skin, in general; subdermal; lying in the true skin or cutis, under the cuticle; subcuticular; placed or performed under the skin; hypodermic: as, a subcutaneous injection.
- Fitted for use under the skin; hypodermic: as, a subcutaneous syringe; a subcutaneous saw.
- Living under the skin; burrowing in the skin: as, a subcutaneous parasitic insect.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to or located below the epidermis
The other type sits just under the skin and is known as subcutaneous abdominal fat.
Also, a 2008 study published in Cell Metabolism found that the fat that accumulates around the thighs and hips, called subcutaneous fat, actually lowers risk of diabetes.
You have a little bit of what's called subcutaneous fat that's just underneath your skin.
Fat in other areas of the body, called subcutaneous fat, is not so easily released.
The first type that covers up your abs from being visible is called subcutaneous fat and lies directly beneath the skin
Vance was in and out of the hospital for months, his worst episode that scary swelling called subcutaneous emphysema.
Cameron's device, dubbed the subcutaneous-ICD, or S-ICD, uses leads placed just beneath the skin above the rib cage.
"The gold standard among forms of therapy is what is known as subcutaneous therapy, where the allergen is injected under the skin," explains Heidrun Holstein, a doctor at the Consumers Association office in Karlsruhe.
"We need to use new techniques, low-impact systems such as subcutaneous electronic tags."
"We are pleased to strengthen our already robust supply chain for rHuPH20 by securing these commercial supply agreements to support existing products as well as exciting partnered product candidates such as subcutaneous Herceptin and GAMMAGARD with rHuPH20," stated