from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A forward dive performed with the legs straight together, the back arched, and the arms stretched out from the sides and then brought together over the head as the diver enters the water.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A forward dive performed with an arched back, the legs together, starting with arms outstretched when jumping, bringing them over the head when landing.
- n. A similar movement out of the water.
- n. a sharp drop, sharp decline
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a dive in which the diver arches the back with arms outstretched before entering the water
Sorry, no etymologies found.
If I drop the rope, I might as well chuck myself off the ledge and follow its free-falling arc in a terminal swan dive into the shin-deep puddle sixty-five feet below.