from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An act of giving thanks; an expression of gratitude, especially to God: a hymn of thanksgiving.
- n. Thanksgiving Day.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an expression of gratitude.
- n. a short prayer said at meals; grace, a benediction.
- n. A public celebration in acknowledgement of divine favour.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of rending thanks, or expressing gratitude for favors or mercies.
- n. A public acknowledgment or celebration of divine goodness; also, a day set apart for religious services, specially to acknowledge the goodness of God, either in any remarkable deliverance from calamities or danger, or in the ordinary dispensation of his bounties.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of rendering thanks or of expressing gratitude for favors, benefits, or mercies; an acknowledgment of benefits received: used in the Old Testament for acknowledgment by the act of offering.
- n. A public celebration of divine goodness; specifically [capitalized], in the United States, Thanksgiving day (see the phrase below).
- n. A form of words expressive of thanks to God; a grace.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. fourth Thursday in November in the United States; second Monday in October in Canada; commemorates a feast held in 1621 by the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag
- n. a short prayer of thanks before a meal
I think the difference in perception of day of prayer vs thanksgiving is the result of the titles of the proclamations, disregarding the contents.
BTW #2 did you know the story of the first thanksgiving is largely a myth? so are you going to get all political now?
The Mass will be celebrated in thanksgiving for the recent priestly ordination of Fr. James DeViese of the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston.
To all my non American Friends, thanksgiving is the American holiday for mass consumption & storage of food stuffs to get ready for the black friday madness. more mass consumption and storage!
My thanksgiving is probably going to look something like that.
The adults offer one another toasts over the antipasto: in thanksgiving for health, for marriages, for new babies, for family, for all the blessings of our lives.
He calls for the blessings of God on his work, his home and loved ones, and when he returns at the end of the day, he forms the sign again, in thanksgiving to be reunited once again with his family.
Answered I, ‘Haply thou didst this in thanksgiving to Allah, for that He hath given thee the mastery over thine enemy.’
The old woman remarked his plight and hastened to forestall him, saying O Shaykh, kiss the earth in thanksgiving to Almighty
And prayer has always been taught as having two aspects: the request for what one wants, along with an expression of thanksgiving for all that one has.