from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not based on fact or sound evidence; groundless. See Synonyms at baseless.
- adj. Not yet established.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having no strong foundation; not based on solid reasons or facts.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not founded; not built or established.
- adj. Having no foundation; baseless; vain; idle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not founded; not built or established. Having no foundation; vain; idle; baseless: as, unfounded expectations.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. without a basis in reason or fact
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Mr. da Silva, who is using his immense popularity to lift his former chief-of-staff Ms. Rousseff into the presidency, appeared on television this week to defend Ms. Rousseff against what he described as unfounded attacks.
Our critics seem to shudder at what they call unfounded personal attacks.
Ngonyama said the DP had numerous platforms to use before running to the media with what he called unfounded allegations.
Newspapers, for undisclosed damages over what it called "unfounded rumours".
Pitino hopes the extension ends what he called unfounded speculation that he's considering leaving the Cardinals in pursuit of another job.
Pitino, 57, said he hoped the extension would end what he called unfounded speculation that he is considering leaving the Cardinals for another job.
Demonstrating that your claims are unfounded is no distraction.
Whether the concerns are unfounded is another issue but the feeling is certainly out there.
Each year, D.C. police report a handful of rape cases as "unfounded" -- meaning that after an investigation into a rape allegation, it is determined that no crime actually occurred.
Cablevision said the legal basis for it is "unfounded" - and vowed to fight efforts to make it share its local sports and news.