from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Contrary to fact; false.
- adj. Deviating from a standard; not straight, even, level, or exact.
- adj. Disloyal; unfaithful.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. False; not true.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not true; false; contrary to the fact.
- adj. Not faithful; inconstant; false; disloyal.
- adv. Untruly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not true to the fact; contrary to the fact; false.
- Not true to one's duty; not faithful; inconstant; not fulfilling the duties of a husband, wife, vassal, friend, etc.; not to be trusted; false; disloyal.
- Not true to a standard or rule; varying from a correct form, pattern, intonation, alinement, or the like: incorrect.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not accurately fitted; not level
- adj. not according with the facts
- adj. not true to an obligation or trust
- adj. (used especially of persons) not dependable in devotion or affection; unfaithful
Even as Mr. Rangel pleaded for understanding, he also decried what he called the untrue assertions that he was corrupt or a criminal.
A Pakistani security official denied the report, which he called "untrue" and "malicious".
The bank has had to fend off charges, which it calls untrue, that it has historic roots in the slave trade.
"When everything that's untrue is disproved, what's left must be true, and this is obviously bias."
Sebastian, if what I wrote in untrue, then I would gladly like to see a worthy rebuttal.
Reinforcing ruinous rumors that he KNOWS to be untrue is not leadership by any stretch of the imagination.
But Xchanging - whose customers include BAE Systems and Deutsche Bank and which issued a warning on revenues early this month - fell 13. 3p to 110p as it set up an impromptu analysts call to dispel what it called untrue rumours about its accounting policies.
The fact McCain thinks we should occupy a nation for 100 years over an invasion that was waged for reasons proven totally untrue is proof that McCain is unfit to lead our nation.
The Path to 9/11 is fabricated (as in untrue) and you people are sitting here debating who should have gotten OBL and thanking the makers for such a great production: "I can't wait for the DVD".
Ordinary, fragmentary truth, on a more modest scale, appears by contrast trivial and inadequate--appears, in short, untrue, sincce it so conspicuously lacks the splendor and intensity of feeling by which one has come to recognize the validity of revelation.