from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- intransitive verb To sting or whip with or as if with nettles.
- intransitive verb To produce a stinging or itching sensation.
- adjective Characterized by the presence of hives.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To sting like a nettle; nettle with stinging hairs; produce urtication in or of.
- To have or exercise the faculty of urticating; effect urtication; sting.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- verb To sting with, or as with, nettles; to irritate; to annoy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb To have or produce a
stingingsensation, as of nettlesor urticating hair.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb sting with or as with nettles and cause a stinging pain or sensation
- verb whip with or as with nettles
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[Medieval Latin urticāre, urticāt-, from Latin urtica, nettle.]
He mispronounced quite common words: urticate, salpinx, bordereau.
New comments are temporarily disabled while we update our database.