from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of vault.
- adj. Of a ceiling supported by arches, introduced in the Gothic style.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Arched; concave.
- adj. Covered with an arch, or vault.
- adj. Arched like the roof of the mouth, as the upper lip of many ringent flowers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Arched; concave: as, a vaulted roof.
- Covered with an arch or vault.
- Provided with vaults or underground passages.
- In botany, arched like the roof of the mouth, as the upper lip of many ringent flowers.
- In zoology, notably arched or convex, as a shell, or the beak of a bird; fornicated.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having a hemispherical vault or dome
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Having vaulted from the fringes of pop culture into the mainstream after a newly atomic America became obsessed with films about mutants and aliens, SF literature matured and flowered throughout the '60s and beyond, just as rock' n 'roll did the same.
Sarah Palin vaulted from unknown to international celebrity, a status she can probably retain as long as she desires.
(AP) - Hundreds of jubilant students vaulted from a wall behind the north end zone, ignoring the public address announcer's plea to celebrate in the stands rather than storm the field.
Both benches cleared, and it was at this moment Zimmer, on a mission, vaulted from the Yankees dugout.
The win vaulted the Horned Frogs (7-1, 4-1 C-USA) one-half game ahead of Southern Miss (5-3, 3-1), Louisville and UAB in league play.
The win vaulted the Maple Leafs over Ottawa into second place in the Northeast Division, one point behind Boston.
Early-season upsets of Colorado, Oregon State and Wisconsin vaulted Fresno State into the rankings.
Batista, who vaulted from the role of long reliever to third starter, opposes 16-game winner Darryl Kile in what would seem to be a mismatch in the Cardinals 'favor.
Reader John Wilson alerted us to his blog, WhereIsJohnWilson, which documents his quest to have his self-proclaimed “super common” name vaulted to the top of Google searches.
A winding staircase from the kitchen court leads you at once to that portion of the gallery called the vaulted corridors.