from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. One who, or that which, voids, empties, vacates, or annuls.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. One who, or that which, voids, �mpties, vacates, or annuls.
  • n. A tray, or basket, formerly used to receive or convey that which is voided or cleared away from a given place; especially, one for carrying off the remains of a meal, as fragments of food; sometimes, a basket for containing household articles, as clothes, etc.
  • n. A servant whose business is to void, or clear away, a table after a meal.
  • n. One of the ordinaries, much like the flanch, but less rounded and therefore smaller.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. One who or that which voids or annuls; one who vacates or empties.
  • n. Formerly, a tray or basket for carrying away utensils, dishes, etc., no longer required; especially, a tray or basket in which broken meat was carried from the table.
  • n. A clothes-basket.
  • n. A means of avoiding; in the following quotation, a screen from the heat of the sun; an arbor.
  • n. In heraldry, same as flasque.
  • n. In medieval armor, a contrivance for covering any part, of the body which the plate-armor left exposed, as at the joints.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. an official who can invalidate or nullify
  • n. a hamper that holds dirty clothes to be washed or wet clothes to be dried
  • n. a person who defecates
  • n. a piece of chain mail covering a place unprotected by armor plate


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Another heraldry word.

    September 1, 2011