from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Shaped like a sword.
- adj. Of or relating to the xiphisternum.
- n. See xiphisternum.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Shaped like a sword, ensiform.
- adj. Of, or relating to the xiphisternum.
- n. The xiphoid process.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Like a sword; ensiform.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the xiphoid process; xiphoidian.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Shaped like or resembling a sword; ensiform.
- The telson of a crustacean, as the king-crab. See cut under horseshoe-crab.
- n. The ensiform or xiphoid cartilage in man, or its representative in other animals. See xiphisternum, 1.
Feel just beneath the sternum and find a tiny bone called xiphoid process.
The lump turned out to be a normal part of his sternum (breastbone), a small piece of cartilage called the xiphoid.
I'm guessing most people don't know where their xiphoid is and, fortunately, it doesn't come up much in conversation.
Another diagonal slash ran from the left shoulder and met the first slash at the xiphoid.
One slash ran from the right shoulder, diagonally through the breast, to the xiphoid process.
Using the bony protrusion of the xiphoid process as her landmark, she pierced the skin and angled the needle tip straight toward the heart.
Sense how your collarbone connects to your sternum, how it continues down to the xiphoid process, and how your ribs extend down to your waist.
Well, now that you know where your xiphoid process is, how about putting it back to work?
From your xiphoid, trace your rib cage as it continues down.
The impulse of the right ventricle, F, has been noticed occasionally as corresponding to a point somewhat above the middle of the sternum and the intercostal space between the fourth and fifth left costal cartilages; while in other instances its beating was observable as low down as an inch or more below the xiphoid cartilage, and these variations have existed in a state of health.