- n. Denoting excitement, surprise, or shock.
- n. chess Indicates a good move.
- n. botany Placed after a herbarium abbreviation to indicate that the mentioned material held there has been examined directly by the author.
- n. computing A Boolean negation, the not operator, serving to invert the truth value of what follows.
- n. computing Formerly used as a separator between hostnames in an e-mail address for the purpose of routing a message (called bang path notation).
- n. computing, IRC Used as a separator between a user's nickname and ident.
- n. mathematics factorial
- May derive from a Latin Io, with the I written over the o, placed at the end of an exclamation to mark it as such. The Io may either be an abbreviation for interiectiō ("interjection"), or else the interjection Iō ("hey!"). (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘!’.
A list of words which yield surprising, beautiful, amusing, or otherwise noteworthy images here on Wordnik.
Note: exclamation point required!
keep your chicken..., poor banana orphans!, hey, people don't..., rinky-dinky!, hey, mango, leave..., well polish my so..., duck!, ambulo cum agrico..., help! i can't sto..., sever my ties to ..., there's wintermel..., schadenfrog! and 647 more...
BRING IT ON!!!!!
england expects t..., mr watson, come h..., what hath god wro..., lo, merry christmas, one two three fou..., are you ready, sos cqd sos cqd, the horse does no..., s, saw ship sank same, - . -. - -.- cq and 17 more...
For more specific and pretty lists see whichbe's Trinkets, Grant Barret's Unicode Pictures and I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them.
Please let me know.
Looking for tweets for !.