from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A giant red binary star, the brightest in the constellation Scorpio, about 424 light-years from Earth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A proper name for Alpha Scorpii (α Sco), the brightest star in the constellation Scorpius. It is a M type red giant, and is a binary with a B type companion visible in greenish.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The principal star in Scorpio: -- called also the Scorpion's Heart.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A red star of the first magnitude, the middle one of three in the body of the Scorpion; a Scorpii. See cut under Scorpius.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the brightest star in Scorpius
Greek Antarēs : anti-, rival of; see anti- + Arēs, Ares, the planet Mars.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from Latin Antares. (Wiktionary)