American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A giant red binary star, the brightest in the constellation Scorpio, about 424 light-years from Earth.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A red star of the first magnitude, the middle one of three in the body of the Scorpion; a Scorpii. See cut under Scorpius.
- n. astronomy A proper name for Alpha Scorpii (α Sco), the brightest star in the constellation Scorpius. It is a M type red giant, and is a binary with a B type companion visible in greenish.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The principal star in Scorpio: -- called also the
- n. the brightest star in Scorpius
- Borrowing from Latin Antares. (Wiktionary)
- Greek Antarēs : anti-, rival of; see anti- + Arēs, Ares, the planet Mars. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Instead he sought heavenly protection as their car sped towards the police's target, a notoriously violent favela called Antares where some of Rio's leading criminals were believed to be meeting.”
“Then I branch out, challenging myself to find Cygnus, the Swan, way over in the east, and the red star Antares, which is the marker star for the constellation Scorpius.”
“Antares, which is also a red supergiant and is the 16th brightest star in the sky.”
“It's called Antares (ticker AIS), and it has been doing well lately.”
“These stars are older than the first, and the ruddy ones, such as Antares, Betelgeuse,”
“My mind keeps going back to the great celestial bodies, Antares which is 300 Million Kilometers in size, and VY Canis Majoris which is as big as 7 quadrillion Earths And pulsars like AtTariq and AlKunnas.”
“IBM's dual-core G5-class PowerPC processor, codenamed 'Antares', is to ship alongside a single-core version, if sources cited by Think Secret are to be believed.”
“As top of the pops the Solinger car tuner offers a complete wheel set of Motec "Antares" in 8×20 inches with Dunlop Sport Maxx GT 235/30 ZR 20 high performance tyres.”
“As top of the pops the Solinger car tuner offers a complete wheel set of Motec "Antares" in 8x20 inches with Dunlop Sport Maxx GT 235/30 ZR 20 high performance tyres.”
“Simultaneously we will be exploring related localizations of Western tech, such as the robotic vocal transformations of Antares' Auto-Tune software in Moroccan Berber folk music --especially fascinating because everything else about the music is staunchly traditional.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Antares’.
The proper names of stars. Don't list people, people.
Isn't it? (See definition on iroquoisy.)
The stars in the sky often have poetic names. Those names are collected here
Looking for tweets for Antares.