from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A region of ancient Greece in the Peloponnesus. Its inhabitants, relatively isolated from the rest of the known civilized world, proverbially lived a simple, pastoral life.
- A city of southern California, a residential suburb of Los Angeles at the foot of the San Gabriel Mountains. Population: 56,500.
- n. A region offering rural simplicity and contentment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A district or a prefecture in the central and mid SE Peloponnese that has a population of more than 110,000. Tripoli is the capital and a main city with a population over 22,000.
- proper n. A mountainous region of ancient Greece.
- proper n. A city in California, USA.
- proper n. A city in Louisiana, USA.
- proper n. Used as a name for an ideal region of rural and idyllic contentment.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mountainous and picturesque district of Greece, in the heart of the Peloponnesus, whose people were distinguished for contentment and rural happiness.
- n. Fig.: Any region or scene of simple pleasure and untroubled quiet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a department of Greece in the central Peloponnese
ARCADIA - A hazardous materials unit of the Arcadia Fire Department responded to the Arcadia
In 1958, the year after he arrived in Rome, Twombly painted a nearly colorless, luminous canvas with the word "Arcadia" scrawled amid a field of skittering marks in pencil and crayon.
Having remained in this place  three days, anchored off the coast, we decided on account of the scarcity of ports to depart, always skirting the shore, which we baptized Arcadia on account of the beauty of the trees.
The value of prerace veterinary examinations was underscored when a state veterinarian discovered The Pamplemousse was not fit to run before the Santa Anita Derby in Arcadia, Calif., on April 4.
Carroll National Guard To Conduct Door To Door Gun Confiscation Drills in Arcadia, Iowa hey guys up early today, what model of marlin 336 should i get the stainless or blued barrel
Carroll National Guard To Conduct Door To Door Gun Confiscation Drills in Arcadia, Iowa you are in your apartment and a legal ccw permit holder and you hear the neighbors fighting. the woman is getting beaten, it sou
Despite its historic location, Arcadia is not going to be a re-creation of a historic farm.
Joan of Arcadia is definitely missing from this list.
Pictures of the arms dealer will be shown in Arcadia, and soldiers will go door to door asking if residents have seen the suspect.
"Arcadia" -- a work unrivalled in its own day, and deserving the admiration of the present, but which has been left behind in the great advance of English prose fiction.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.