from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The eighth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar. See Table at calendar.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The eighth month of the Gregorian calendar, following July and preceding September. Abbreviation: Aug or Aug.
- proper n. A male given name, variant of Augustus borrowed from continental Europe.
- proper n. A female given name derived from the month (rare modern usage).
[August descries September toiling across the lawn.] _August.
- San Manual Amphitheatre August 02, 2009 - Tucson, AZ - Anselmo Valencia Center August 04,
The term "August story" has special meaning in the language called newspaperese.
Industrial output dropped 0.3% in August from the previous month, missing forecasts for a 1.1% rise, the government said Thursday.
Industrial output dropped 0.3% in August from the previous month, missing forecasts for a 1.1% rise.
Taiwan's exports rose 26.6% in August from a year earlier, a slowdown from July's 38.5% increase but still strong.
While exports to the U.S. rose only 8.8% in August from a year earlier, to 776.1 billion yen, exports to China — Japan's largest trading partner — rose 18.5% to 1.048 trillion yen, and exports to Asia as a whole were up 18.6% at 3.053 trillion yen.
Sales at Costco locations open a year or more rose 5% in August from the prior year; at rival BJ's Wholesale Corp. they rose just 1.9%.
Global chip sales rose 1.8% in August from a month earlier despite more signs of a slowing economy, the sixth-straight period of month-to-month growth, according to the Semiconductor Industry Association.
BERLIN — German industrial production increased 1.7% in August from the previous month, the economics ministry said Thursday, beating expectations and adding to evidence that the country's economy is recovering at a steady pace.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.