American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The eastern dialect of Old Iranian, in which the Avesta is written.
- adj. Of or relating to Avestan.
- adj. Or or relating to the Avesta.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Belonging to the Avesta.
- n. The language of the Avesta; Zend.
- n. An ancient Eastern Old Iranian language that was used to compose the sacred hymns and canon of the Zoroastrian Avesta.
- adj. Of or pertaining to Avesta or Avestan.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Avesta or the language of the Avesta.
- n. an ancient Iranian language
- n. the script in which the ancient Persian language of the Avesta is written
- adj. of or pertaining to the Avesta (sacred text of Zoroastrianism)
- From Avesta + -an. (Wiktionary)
“The Avestan language is called Avestan because the sacred scriptures of Zoroastrianism, Avesta, were written in this old form.”
“D. Whitney suggests in his very lucid and able article in vol.v. of the Journal of the American Oriental Society most fitly be called the Avestan dialect.”
“Some, including Avestan, the language of the Zoroastrians and their sacred religious texts, and Sogdian, which gained wide use as a lingua franca among merchants and traders along the ancient Silk Route, are extinct.”
“I personally find the accepted etymological cognate to Pgm *ansuz in Avestan anhu quite convincing.”
“Szemerenyi rejects this rule because of Avestan zdī from *s-dʰi "be!”
“There are three different phases in the development of Indo-Iranian languages: Old, Middle, and Modern.citation needed Old Dari/Farsi and the Avestan language represents the old stage of development and were spoken in ancient Bactria.”
“Avestan died out long before the advent of Islam and except for scriptural use not much has remained of it.”
“This usage tends to merge the Avestan/Sanskrit meaning of "noble" or "elevated" with the idea of distinctive ancestral ethnicity marked by language distribution.”
“Aryan is an English language word derived from the Indian Vedic Sanskrit and Iranian Avestan terms ari -, arya -, ārya -, and/or the extended form aryāna -.”
“The term paradise itself derives from the Persian language of Avestan.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Avestan’.
This is not a scientific list based on unified criteria, the sole aim was to collect as many language names as possible.
The list contains the names of the following artificial langua...
Looking for tweets for Avestan.