from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. from Batavia; Jakartan
- adj. from the ancient Germanic tribe of the Batavi, living in the region of Batavia around Nijmegen
- n. Someone from Batavia; Jakartan
- n. Someone from the tribe of the Batavi
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Batavi, an ancient Germanic tribe.
- adj. Of or pertaining to Batavia or Holland.
- n. A native or inhabitant of Batavia or Holland.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to the ancient Batavia, or by extension to the Netherlands or their inhabitants, the Dutch.
- Pertaining to Batavia, the chief city of the island of Java, and the capital of the Dutch possessions in the East.
- n. A native of the Netherlands; a Dutchman.
- n. A native of Batavia in Java.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
"The Batavian is a skillful fighter, Marcellus," said one young officer to a companion among the group which has been alluded to.
The different sorts are divided into two classes, -- the "Batavian" and the "Curled-leaved."
The Batavian, up in Genesee County, New York, has managed to provide online-only local news since 2008.
So after a lengthy guerrilla war the Batavian army Batavia is the Roman name for the area that is now called the Netherlands succeed in ending a 40 year long occupation of their country and set out to retake their former colonial holdings.
The show is called The Edge Of The Earth Isn't Far From Here and deals with an invasion of the Cape Colony (rather a retaking) by Batavian (Dutch) forces in 1792.
Jewish men received the right to full citizenship in the Batavian Revolution in 1796.
But if the visitor is from Boston and has no interest in Batavia, NY, there is NOTHING The Batavian can do to convert that visitor into anything of value.
I doubt that many people outside Batavia would have much reason to come to the Batavian because it is so well focused and targeted and does not traffic in commodity news, demonstrating my very point.
Also, the Batavian obtained permission from the D&C for such use.
UNLESS, unless, the reader discovers the site meets some criteria for their broader intentions, like say they live in Batavia but never found The Batavian before and some deep link helps them discover the site.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.