from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- An ancient region made up of Palestine or the part of it between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea. In the Bible it is the Promised Land of the Israelites.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An historic region of the Middle East, roughly equivalent to Palestine.
- proper n. A grandson of Noah.
- proper n. A male given name of biblical origin.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. an ancient country is southwest Asia on the eastern coast of the Mediterranean.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an ancient country in southwestern Asia on the east coast of the Mediterranean Sea; a place of pilgrimage for Christianity and Islam and Judaism
From the Latin Chanaān, from Ancient Greek Χαναάν (Khanaan), from Hebrew כְּנַעַן (k'ná'an). (Wiktionary)