from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- An ancient region made up of Palestine or the part of it between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea. In the Bible it is the Promised Land of the Israelites.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An historic region of the Middle East, roughly equivalent to Palestine.
- proper n. A grandson of Noah.
- proper n. A male given name of biblical origin.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. an ancient country is southwest Asia on the eastern coast of the Mediterranean.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an ancient country in southwestern Asia on the east coast of the Mediterranean Sea; a place of pilgrimage for Christianity and Islam and Judaism
CANAAN - Even in rural Canaan, at the time home to 2,304, secrecy and worry ran high in the early days of World War II.
On the same text Dr. Abbott says: "The term Canaan was the older title of the country, and the inhabitants were successively termed Canaanites and Phoenicians, as the inhabitants of England were successively call Brittons and Englishmen."
But, though the term Canaan would doubtless be more correct than Palestine, the latter has become so purely geographical in meaning that we can employ it without reference to history or date.
The name "Canaan" is used to imply that they had made Judea as much the scene of abominations as it was in the days of the corrupt
On the same text Dr. Abbott says: "The term Canaan was the older title of the country and the inhabitants were successively termed Canaanites and Phoenicians; as the inhabitants of England were successively called Britons or
I like thinking maybe 4000 years ago there was a woman in Canaan with hair like Rosa's and Daddy's and mine.
Flavius Worfeus – sorry to burst your bubble but New Canaan is FAR from having trailer parks (I would know, I live in Stamford, CT which is a hop, skip and a jump from New Canaan).
They held no portion of land in Canaan (Deuteronomy 18).
Immediately after the death of my brother, a journey was planned to visit our grandmother Cady, who lived in Canaan, Columbia County, about twenty miles from Albany.
The word Canaan, as we have seen, meant "the lowlands," and appears sometimes in a longer, sometimes in a shorter form.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.