from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A trademark used for an abrasive of silicon carbide crystals.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Crystals of silicon carbide used as an abrasive.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A beautiful crystalline compound, silicon carbide (SiC), consisting of carbon and silicon in combination; -- also called carbon silicide. It is made by heating carbon and sand together in an electric furnace. The commercial article is dark-colored and iridescent. It is harder than emery, and is used as an abrasive.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Silicon carbide, SiC, a product of the electric furnace used as an abrasive material.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an abrasive composed of silicon carbide crystals
Blend of carbon and corundum (Wiktionary)