American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- A city of northern California northwest of Sacramento. It is a processing and packing center in an almond-growing region. Population: 73,300.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An orangered coloring matter obtained by the Indians from the leaves of the Bignonia Chica, which grows on the banks of the Meta and the Orinoco, and is employed by them, like arnotto, to dye their bodies. It is also used in the United States to produce red and orange shades on cotton and wool, the process followed being similar to that for arnotto.
Calvert, Dyeing and Calico-Printing, p. 291.
- n. A fermented liquor or beer derived from Indian corn, mashed in hot water, used by the natives of Chili.
- n. Also chica, chicha.
- n. In the Philippine Islands, the sapodilla, Sapota zapotilla, a tree of Mexican origin. See sapodilla.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Var. of chica.
- n. The common greasewood of the western United States (Sarcobatus vermiculatus).
- n. In the Philippines, the sapodilla or its fruit; also, the marmalade tree or its fruit.
- n. United States comedian; one of four brothers who made motion pictures together (1891-1961)
“CHICO, CA, June 26, 2009 LifeSiteNews.com - James Canfield, a regular pro-life protester of a Planned Parenthood and Women's Health Center in Chico, California, was almost run down during a protest last Wednesday, according to the Chico Enterprise Record.”
“CHICO - The condition of Giovanni Phanor, a 4-year-old boy injured by exploding power outside his north Chico home Monday, was upgraded from fair to good at Enloe Medical Center Wednesday.”
“CHICO - The city of Chico will apply for approximately $800,000 in grant funding in hopes of developing an upper Bidwell Park trailhead near the Highway 32 disc golf course.”
“CHICO - A high volume of calls for service to a Sacramento Avenue apartment complex attracted the attention of a Chico police special enforcement team, which made two arrests of burglary suspects there Tuesday.”
“CHICO - The balance between preserving Chico's farmland and providing space for future homes dominated the Chico draft 2030 General Plan discussion Tuesday as the Chico City Council and”
“CHICO September 13, 2010 - By a unanimous decision, the Chico”
“CHICO - A man who allegedly tried to run over a Cal Fire-Butte County firefighter at a north Chico station Sunday has been arrested on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon.”
“CHICO - New drugstores in Chico won't need to provide as much customer parking - a change planners believe may provide more opportunity for businesses to build on underutilized sites and cut back on pavement.”
“CHICO - Unable to reach terms with the fire union on wage and benefit concessions, Chico city leaders sent layoff notices to five firefighters today and cut a sixth vacant position.”
“CHICO - The driver of a car in a crash Sunday morning has been arrested by Chico police and charged with felony hit-and-run.”
Looking for tweets for Chico.