from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Clive, Robert. Baron Clive of Plassey. 1725-1774. British soldier and statesman who was instrumental in securing Great Britain's interests in India.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A topographic surname - someone who lived near a cliff ( Old English clif).
- proper n. A male given name derived from the surname. Popular in Britain in mid-twentieth century.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To climb; ascend.
- A Middle English form of cleave.
- n. Burdock or agrimony.
- n. An obsolete form of cliff.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. British general and statesman whose victory at Plassey in 1757 strengthened British control of India (1725-1774)
Sorry, no etymologies found.