American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- Confucius Originally Kong Fuzi. c. 551-479 B.C. Chinese philosopher whose Analects contain a collection of his sayings and dialogues compiled by disciples after his death.
- n. Western name of Kong Qiu (孔丘), an influential Chinese philosopher who lived 551 BCE – 479 BCE.
- n. A male given name.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a Chinese philosopher (circa 551-478 BC), the founder of Confucianism.
- n. Chinese philosopher whose ideas and sayings were collected after his death and became the basis of a philosophical doctrine known a Confucianism (circa 551-478 BC)
- From Latin Confucius, from the pinyin romanisation of Sinitic 孔夫子 (Kǒng Fūzǐ) "Master Kong". (Wiktionary)
“-- Some scholars (G. Haloun) tend to interpret attacks such as the one of 660 B.C. as attacks from outside the borders of China.p. 41: For Confucius see H.G. Creel, _Confucius_, New York 1949.”
“Confutzee (whom we call Confucius), and this disciple was named”
“Confucius 'analysis of the lack of connection between actualities and their names and the need to correct such circumstances is usually referred to as Confucius' theory of zhengming.”
“You know, there is an expression of Confucius: ‘Jiang-xin-bi-xin—Imagine my heart was yours’!”
“It is hardly necessary that I should say here, that the name Confucius is merely the Chinese characters 孔夫子 (K'ung Fu-tsze, 'The master K'ung') Latinized.”
“The name Confucius is simply a Latin translation of his real name.”
“This change in the use of the term by Confucius from nobility by birth to nobility by character created a goal that could now be pursued by any person.”
“Although the students are doing their work at a state school on Florida's Gulf Coast, the center they are studying in is part of a global outreach by the government of China called the Confucius Institute.”
“A World News article on Friday incorrectly said Mr. Liu's prize would be called the Confucius World Peace Prize and be offered next year.”
“Several schools in Greater New York are part of a new grant program called the Confucius Classroom, sponsored by the Chinese government through the New York-based Asia Society, which selects programs that could serve as models for Chinese-language instruction.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Confucius’.
Words from the novel by Thornton Wilder.
A complete list of the red cards (things) from the popular word game.
Looking for tweets for Confucius.