American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An opinion especially associated with the Gnostics that Jesus had no human body and only appeared to have died on the cross.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The doctrinal system of the Docetæ.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Eccl. Hist.) The doctrine of the Docetæ.
- n. the heretical doctrine (associated with the Gnostics) that Jesus had no human body and his sufferings and death on the cross were apparent rather than real
- Probably from Late Greek Dokētai, espousers of Docetism, from Greek dokein, to seem; see dek- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“In regard to the person of Jesus there was not only the danger of Docetism, that is, of neglecting the human; there was also the danger of stopping there, of only seeing the human in him and of not seeing the divine dimension of the Son of God.”
“The heresy which the writer fears is that known as Docetism, which denied the reality of the body of Jesus.”
“Dr. McGrath, I believe the mainstream scholarship position on Docetism is that they believed Jesus had the appearance of a man, but was not made of flesh and blood.”
“Personally I can see how people could have fallen into Docetism, but Arianism is simply absurd.”
“Docetism in regard to scripture is as damaging to Xtn life and theology as it is in regard to the person of Jesus Christ.”
“Docetism - the view that Jesus was a heavenly figure that could not suffer - was catching on in certain circles.”
“To claim otherwise is to be guilty of a heresy specifically Docetism.”
“Docetism – Jesus appeared physical, but he was really incorporeal”
“It was one of the essential propositions in the struggle against gnostic Docetism from the 2nd century onward.”
“The upsetting of the balance today is not in the direction of Docetism, but toward Ebionism.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Docetism’.
Another of my random palavery lists for words or phrases that haven't yet found a place in one or more of my other lists.
Looking for tweets for Docetism.