from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The German internal security police as organized under the Nazi regime, known for its terrorist methods directed against those suspected of treason or questionable loyalty.
- n. A police organization that employs terroristic methods to control a populace.
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of the German security police organized under the Nazi regime.
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of terroristic police methods or operations: gestapo tactics.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The secret police of the Nazi party in the Second World War
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the secret state police in Nazi Germany; known for its terrorist methods
German Ge(heime) Sta(ats)po(lizei), secret state police : geheim, secret + Staat, state + Polizei, police.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from German Gestapo. (Wiktionary)