from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- abbr. self-propelled
- abbr. shore patrol
- abbr. single pole
- abbr. specialist
- abbr. submarine patrol
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- Starting price, the quoted odds in horse racing.
- Selling price.
- Shore patrol.
- State police
- Slow play.
- service pack.
- Suppressive person (someone who speaks critically of Scientology)
- abbr. São Paulo, a state of Brazil.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An abbreviation of Spanish.
- An abbreviation: in pharmacy, of spiritus, spirit;
- in botany, of species, specimen;
- in zoology, of species only; when two or more species are meant, spp. is used.
- An abbreviation of Spain.
- An abbreviation of Society for the Propagation of the Gospel.
- An abbreviation of short particular meter.
- n. An abbreviation of Society for the Prevention of Crime.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
And in Maine, West Virginia, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire you can call * SP, while in Maryland and Virginia you can dial #SP (pound SP, instead of star SP), and in Massachusetts you can dial * SP if you are in the 413 area code, but in the
Around the same time as the release of the Game Boy Micro, Nintendo released a new backlit version of the SP in North America (commonly referred to as the "GBA SP+").
The point of a SP is to determine if crimes were committed.
ElBruce-one does NOT need calculus to determine that ~$500B of SP is still unspent.
Great to see such interest in SP – I can see why CNN publishes her every word – Obama has nothing to say without a teleprompter.
Anyone who actually supports SP is as brainless as she is!
Come on – you didn't vote for Obama ..... b/c you think SP is someone to listen to but the beauty queen will not even answer questions off script ...
SP is "going rouge" in new ways and embrassing your efforts in the process.
Tina Fey's SP is one of SNL's best bits ever - looking forward to more hilarity.
I am so thankful that SP is NOT our VP and John "sometimes maverick" McCain are not the POTUS.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.